Homeowners Insurance

The term “homeowner insurance” includes homes, condominiums, mobile homes, and renters insurance. All owners of the property should be listed as named insured’s on the policy. Homeowner insurance policies can be written to cover your dwelling, detached structures, personal property, loss of use, and personal liability. Several additional endorsements are offered by our insurance carriers, which will provide coverage for exposures that are usually limited or excluded.

Below is a brief explanation of common terms in the Homeowners marketplace.

Types of Coverage


Klug Insurance suggests you insure your home to 100% of the cost to rebuild it if it were totally destroyed. We use a computerized cost estimator to help you determine the replacement cost of your home.

Personal Property

A type of property which can include assets other than real estate. The distinguishing factor between personal property and real estate is that personal property is movable. That is, the asset is not fixed permanently to one location as with real property such as land or buildings. Examples of personal property include furniture, collectibles, etc. Excluded from Personal Property would be most motorized vehicles such as autos, boats, etc.

Scheduled Personal Property

Additional coverage that’s over and above the typical coverage in a homeowners’ insurance policy. Each item that the insured wishes to schedule needs to be added separately to the insurance policy and generally an additional premium is charged. Examples of items that an insured might schedule are jewelry, art, musical instruments, furs, coin collections and guns. Generally an insurance company requires a receipt or appraisal to be kept on file stating the value of each specific item.


A type of insurance that protects an individual from the risk that they may be sued and held legally liable for something such as injury or negligence. Liability insurance policies cover both legal costs and any legal payouts for which the insured would be responsible if found legally liable.

Umbrella Liability

An umbrella liability policy provides you with a higher limit of liability over and above your underlying liability limits. These policies start at $1 million.

Water & Sewer Backup

This coverage is available to insured’s living outside of the flood zone. This endorsement provides coverage for which water backs up through sewers or drains or which overflows from a sump and which is not caused by the negligence of any insured or concurrently with a flood. All other water damage exclusions still apply.


Homeowner insurance excludes loss caused by earthquake. Earthquake coverage is available as an endorsement on your homeowner policy.


A separate flood policy is available for anyone to protect your property and personal property.

Identity Theft Coverage

It’s difficult to know where to begin or how to navigate through the maze created by legal, financial, and credit institutions. This coverage will provide one-on-one assistance in expense reimbursement coverage. This reimbursement covers costs such as attorney fees, lost wages, and long-distance phone charges.